



**USA Meeting Minutes**  
**Zoom Meeting**  
**November 6<sup>th</sup>, 2023 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM**

**Motion to begin the meeting: Bella**

**Second: Sarah Sun**

**Meeting start time: 8:03**

1. College Day of Service

- Bella: I want to check in with all of you and make sure everything is going well. If you need help with planning or marketing we can help out.
- Sarah Sun: We have on campus and off campus events planned. We are pretty well prepared. We have a 30 minute program with a keynote speaker. We are focusing on the marketing piece right now. Our flyers are up. On top of mind in the UT college day of service instagram page. It is difficult to coordinate, but we do still have some time to get a lot of stuff up there. IF you have graphics with details, it would be helpful to send them my way.
- Bella: We are doing our campus to community event. We are volunteering at the St. George children's museum. We invited all of our clubs to host activities based on their clubs for the children. 10am-3pm. Everything is looking good, t-shirts and lunch, open to all students and community to volunteer.
- Joe: There is a competition between U of U and BYU to raise the most in a food drive. We are using the hype of the rivalry game. I'm not sure if it is being coordinated with BYU or not. Either way, using the rivalry to hype up the food drive is helpful. It's more of just using the hype of the rivalry for marketing. marketing wise it is on our main instagram and other departments.
- Colter: SUU is doing ours on the 8th. We are doing a blanket tying night. It is marketed as a campus events. We are including as many clubs as we can. I am waiting on the marketing and will send them over tonight. We don't expect a huge turn out. But it is nice to use an already planned event.
- Sarah Heywood: We partnered with the city and our service club. The city is giving us locations and we will split up and weed and rake leaves. We expect great attendance. We have a ton of RSVPs. The City is providing a lot of supplies. I have sent some marketing and will send more.
- Matt: We have a non profit zoo and will be helping them put up their Christmas lights. All of our marketing was approved and will be sent out. We are encouraging everyone to find a project that they can attend and we will post those.

- Emily: We are doing our day of service as a tailgate. We are making kits to serve the community before chewing on your community. We will be donating the kits afterwards. We have kits from a lot of places in the community and on campus. I'm hoping that by using the tailgate we will have good attendance.

## 2. Initiative Discussion

- Bella: We have been talking about potential initiatives. I think we can focus more on what students are struggling with and see if we can find any similarities between all of us. If we identify one struggle statewide then we can support students in that. If we pick initiatives, I would love to assign specific leads on this so we can plan this accordingly. I asked everyone to prepare around 3 things that students love and 3 things that they struggle with.
- Sarah Sun: One thing that has been top of mind is that we have a focus on students serving students. That is our slogan for the student association. We would love to collaborate on being engaged and making change without having that infrastructure. One thing that is beneficial is all of our resources. We have our office of belonging, and other resources that would typically fall under student government. The office of belonging is similar to a DEI office. We need to help students find the resources they need.
- Bella: For me the top three are student life and engagement, relationships with professors, support from faculty and staff. Struggles are time management and motivation, finances, food struggles, and meeting people.
- Joe: Skiing, life center, the gaming center. Some struggles are parking ticket debt. We have been talking about a fund where if certain students are in debt and can't pay those tickets we can set aside money to pay for students in certain situations. You can't register for classes if you have parking debt.
- Colter: Good resources, great campus life and location, good faculty and staff connections. Struggles include: ramifications of HB261, we have a lot of faculty fear of what they can and cannot do. It is fear of what they can and cannot say. On campus student wages are a huge concern. This is an initiative that I came up with when campaigning. We are also seeing food concerns. We have students that don't know how to make nutritious meals or they don't have enough money for food.
- Sarah Heywood: Community and tight knit and friendliness, our wellness resources are doing very well, campus and student life, we are getting better attendance. Struggles: Finances, balancing time, we have heard that people get bored on the weekends. We are going to have activities set up on Saturdays.
- Matt: Student life, there is always something going on, involvement opportunities are very easy to find, outdoor and indoor recreation (skiing, climbing, ARC, campus rec.) I agree with the HB261 struggle, the testing center has been a struggle with wait times, it is hard for students to wait that long to schedule a test. Another one is that it is hard to get a good paying job, and housing struggles.
- Emily: Positives: affordability, class flexibility. Some challenges are academic challenges of managing life and school, more accessible tutoring options and easier access to resources. Students find it difficult to engage in social and campus life, a

suggestion was more casual events. Another big thing with HB261 is how our resources are kind of hard for students to find. All the resources have been adjusted, moved or taken away.

- Muskan: I see us tackling this in 2 ways. we can pool our USA lever or the USHE lever which is a system wide approach. For me I want to make sure that what USHE works on aligns with the strategic plan: Access, financial value, completion. Those are the things we are looking at. Some of the struggles sound very institutional focused. The thing that sticks out to me is finances. That clearly falls under financial value. We can look into components of affordability and see what lines up. It is interesting to hear about how HB261 can put a damper on campus and some have not had problems. every campus will be requesting approval of support centers. That is something that USA could work on.
- Sarah Sun: I love how you highlighted being in line with the strategic plan. As far as taking on the HB261 ramifications, I think that if we talk about belonging and inclusion, we can preserve what DEI helped students with.
- Bella: I am understanding, I'm trying to review the HB261 details to figure out what we can do.
- Sarah Sun: It's the idea of an office of belonging. It has been helpful here and a lot of resources can fall under belonging. How realistic is it to rebrand DEI to belonging.
- Joe: A bunch of centers were taken away and we had 2 created, student success and cultural engagement. VPs and presidents are going to USHE to advocate but is it for these new centers or the old centers that do not exist.
- Muskan: They are looking for approval on the new centers that they have created.
- Sarah Sun: What other universities have done the same as the U?
- matt: It is something that we are working on.
- Bella: We closed down the centers that violated DEI. We rebranded clubs and took in that director. We now have coordinators for student belonging. Our MISA area is now our Club Hub that includes cultural clubs and we have had a huge growth in our clubs branch of UTSA.
- Sarah Heywood. We changed the multicultural center to partner more with clubs. Since we remodeled and changed it to the connection center, it is still being used. Students are doing well with the change.
- Colter: The Q center and the CDI were dissolved. But the staff over those have been hired to other positions where they can still help. We don't have plans to form a center of belonging or inclusion right now.
- Bella: We have summed it up to 2 things, financial support or HB261 support. If we have leads on each, I'd love to see ownership on those. Do we want to do one or both?
- Emily: If we continue to poke at this HB261 I think it can bring a lot of anger and frustration from students. At the end of the day, I dont think a lot of student voices were heard.
- Joe: I would add on to that. I think that if you start events where we can cater to students affected by HB261 that are open to all that isn't something that would anger anyone. I don't think that spaces for students to express themselves would be negative.
- Colter: I would say that from my perspective, we are seeing a lot of confusion and fear from the faculty and staff perspective. I don't know if that is somewhere for us. I think that if we are voting, I would take on the financial initiative.

- Joe: Can we have time to come up with specific ideas around these two things? I think it would be cool to vote but without specific ideas we aren't at the time to vote on it yet. We could reconvene with ideas before we vote.
- Bella: Absolutely, I am just trying to narrow it down. One thing is that we don't have a December meeting, so I wanted to get the ball rolling. If we could have ideas for January that would be great.
- Matt: I would be willing to meet in December.

### 3. Student Fees

- Bella: This has been a changing conversation. It is tough when everyone is hearing different things. We need to all get on the same page. As I was talking about leads on initiatives, Matt, Muskan, and I are taking the lead on student fees. With that Matt is making a list of all the representatives in the Higher ed sub committee. I think that the best way is to have conversations with all of the senators and representatives. We need to make sure that all of those conversations are the same. If we can all prepare talking points and questions, that will be the more effective way to go about it.
- Muskan: I want to make sure that our efforts are coordinated and strategic with the USHE effort. We want to all be saying the same thing.
- Joe: I talked to president randall. He gave the advice that we could fill a room and have the senators come down and we can have all of our colleges and our student governments to voice our disagreements. That was the advice that I was given so I want to hear thoughts on that. I don't have all the details on that. To my understanding, there is an open room in the capitol building where you can go to express concerns. We could all meet in that room and have senators come down to hear what we have to say.
- Bella: Can you update us after that meeting? via text or phone. Any more updates?
- Matt: Just make sure that we can accurately represent our students.
- Bella: If you have questions and can answer theirs it is going to go further. Be prepared in your student fee process.
- Joe: Are each of us reaching out to senators?
- Bella: I know that Matt had a list that corresponded to presidents and areas.
- Matt: I will make a tracker of who we have spoken to with notes.
- Bella: The best way to go about this is to go to the government relations person so the meeting can have the university representative included. It is best to find a representative that is connected to your school.
- Emily: Can you send out action items of what we need to do?
- Bella: Yes with that tracker and action items It will be sent out.

**Bella motions to conclude the meeting**

**Matt seconds.**

**Motion passes.**



**USA Meeting Agenda**  
**Zoom Meeting**  
**October 2, 2023 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM**

**Bella motions to begin the meeting at 8:04.**

**Colter Seconds.**

**Motion Passes.**

1. USHE Update- Taylor Adams

Taylor: Updates and survey via email to Bella, simplified admissions process. I want to focus on student fees today. We would like to know if you met with your institutional leaders and how that changed your understanding of the topic, as well as what questions you still have. Your institutions worked with us to report data on student fees. We are getting ready to report that data.

Colter: I met with Senator Vickers. I don't think that my understanding changed too much, He wasn't very sure what that session would look like. He pointed me in the direction of another senator that Bella and I will meet with. He shared insight into where this pressure is coming from and what questions were asked.

taylor: Have you met with an institutional leader?

Colter: This has been something that our president has been working on for a while. She is a huge advocate for the student voice. She is definitely concerned about this. Our understanding is that the legislature is looking to change the student fee process. We fear that the legislatures don't fully understand that what we are trying to do with fees is different than taxes.

Katie: Part of the legislature's concerns comes from the idea that students and families could be "double taxed" because public institutions receive state funding from taxes.

Colter: It doesn't seem like legislation is consulting students who are being affected the most. I agree with the double taxing point of view, I just want to make sure that the right opinions are being heard.

Taylor: I think we need to look at what voices are not being heard due to financial issues.

Muskan: I was able to talk to accountants and students at institutions. I believe that students are all for affordability. Some students think that fees are a lot or unwanted. Two concerns that I've heard about this are: Transparency- If fees are moved to tuition that we don't know exactly where that is going. Secondly, we lose the student voice because many students from the student fee committee don't have as much of a say in how fees are used. I have heard both sides if the argument for and against changing the fee structure.

Mathew: I see the argument of getting fees down, but we already have that system in place by having fee committees. We are always trying to lower them when we can. We shouldn't take away this system from students.

Katie: The legislature's argument is not to lower but the question is more of what fees exist and what we can eliminate. We would look to move fees that are directly tied to construction to tuition. Secondly, resources that help students access college and retain college, we should not put that on students as a fee, legislation should put that on the state to fund those resources. Where opinions differ is on the third which is user fees. One example is a fitness center. Say you get charged a fitness center fee for the year. What if data shows that for every 1 student that uses it there are 5 others that don't. The Legislature's argument is that why are students that never use this paying for the student that does. We would be looking to make it fair that students don't pay for what they don't use.

Emily: My argument is affordability. How can we define what is affordable? Students may need to access the gym for showers or different resources. Our mission is to support all students.

Katie: I think that is fair but what is the affordability for the 5 students that are charged and don't use it. It is a good point of housing and food insecurities when it comes to showers and that is something that the state should support.

Mathew: our fitness center was voted by students and is on a bond right now. We have no way of telling what to charge students for this. The idea of the student fee is voted on by students. We just wouldn't have an idea of what to charge until we find out how many student opt in.

Katie: There would be a period of normalization with anything that changes. The case of the bond cant be changed so that it will stay as is for a period of time.

Mathew: I do think that students should still have the voice to say what they want on campus.

Bella: It is hard to tell the involvement of students from year to year. It is not a consistent number every year. We are trying to get involvement from student to use resources and experience our events. If we are taking this away from students, we could be lowering the student's mental and physical health. My second question, when you used the library, isn't that already under the USHE bylaws as academic support.

Katie: Yes, we think that resources like tutoring and libraries should be under tuition.

Bella: Is the direction going towards a focus on USHE bylaws and funding in general? I noticed that a lot of focus is funding as a whole.

Taylor: I do have to leave, Katie will cover the rest.

Katie: There is a broad level of scrutiny on public spending. Higher ed is a big part of that. And student fees is a small part of it that must be looked at. By law we must be looking into how we can maximize public funds.

Bella: Does anyone have other questions?

Nahomi: With the student fee situation, will tuition be raised to cover the fees?

Katie: The only things that we are looking to move into tuition will be those construction costs. The board would be looking into the tuition. Our board puts a huge focus on affordability. They try to keep the tuition raise under 3%. The point of this exercise is to make the overall affordability better.

Katie: I have to leave pretty soon too. Thank you for helping me with that counter argument. I think the legislature needs to be aware of how the model of a user fee would actually work. I think it is more difficult than a lot of people see it as.

Bella: Anyone can email me with questions and Katie and Taylor can answer those.

Katie: You should have the link for the virtual meeting.

Bella: I'm going to turn this over to Matt.

Matt: This letter is pretty close but still in draft form. Number one is making a note of what your fee process looks like (how many students and how many administrators) and second some examples of how fees are used to support students. IS there any immediate feedback?

Joseph: I can call you after and give you some feedback.

Bella: When do you want our feedback?

Matt: Today or tomorrow, ASAP.

Nahomi: clarification on what Matt needs.

Matt: I will send a link to the letter out so we all have access.

## 2. College Day of Service (11/9)- Sarah Sun

Bella: I want Sarah to talk about marketing and collaboration on this.

Nahomi: I don't have any solid plans for the 9th. I'm still coordinating with service leaders.

Sarah: First item is marketing.

- Marketing
  - Paper and print versus online.
  - Social media could be awesome to collaborate. I have some assignments to make a reel to introduce a day of service across our campuses. I would love help with a graphic for our university ex. SUU is ready to serve. Or your university's tagline.
  - As a bonus if we could all create a reel. It can be anything you want. I would request one reel from each institution. As far as deadlines, for those that don't have logistics coordinated, how much time do we need? 2 weeks?
  - By the end of this week I will send out a script for a reel. By Wednesday the 9th can we have those recorded? Videos due 10/9. By the 16th I would like to roll out different college initiatives. If we could have the graphics by the 15th or 16th that would be great. By the 23rd, I'd like everyone's reels.
  - For our school's marketing teams if we could start promoting with paper materials by October 16th that would be awesome.
  - Colter: My team requires 4 weeks so we can't get anything out until the end of the month.
  - Sarah: Let's aim for halloween.
  - Bella: It really depends for us. Since ours is already planned we already have graphics. If the reel is posted elsewhere I can get that in time. The official stuff will be 4 weeks out.

- Planning Process
  - Bella: Each semester our service branch has a campus to community event that we do around St. George. WE are having our campus to community on the same day (11/9). I'm working with my VP of service and her team. We will be at a children museum with booths and performance, as well as service projects at the museum. Feeling prepared 7 or 8 out of 10. I'm just going to be making sure that our marketing side of this is connected. We will be doing independent marketing, we always do t-shirts and marketing campaigns.
  - Matt: My team is working with the service office. We are working on planning and details. I would give us a 7. We are looking into marketing materials.
  - McKinley: I don't have a service team but I do have an belongings connection. We have been identifying students in need. We are looking to benefit students and the university as a whole. As a student council we will be attending an event together, at a university level we are identifying where we can help the most. 7.
  - Colter: 7, we are working with our community engagement center. WE have a couple different ideas. We haven't thought much on the marketing side. planning on marketing from SUU.
  - Sarah H: We have presented ideas to our service center and service club. We will all be working on marketing together. I'd put us at a 6.
  - Nahomi: The department in charge is working with us to finalize details soon. They will be in charge of marketing for that.
  - Joseph: It has been delegated who is working on this. We are just trying to coordinate with everyone. The person running this will reach out to figure out how we can work around game day. We will send in a marketing request by the end of the week. 7/10.
  - Emily: A lot of things have been on pause with homecoming and everything. I do have someone in charge of this. They are waiting to hear from our community partner. 5/10.
  - Sarah: We are going to rely on individual marketing teams. We have realized that social media is awesome but the group of students interested in something like this isn't always online.

### 3. Budget- ([USA Budget](#))

Linda: Our budget is looking good. We are waiting on snow and UofU for payment. BYU just got the invoice. Emily has all the info. If you need help with reading the budget let me know. Our domain was renewed, so that is there.

### 4. Initiatives Planning

Motion to push to the next agenda.

Second: Matt

Motion passes.

Motion to end the meeting.

Second: Matt.

Motion passes.





**USA Meeting Minutes**  
**Zoom Meeting**  
**September 4, 2023 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM**

1. Welcome

Bella motions to begin the meeting.  
Matt Seconds

Bella motions to approve this week's meeting agenda.  
Joseph Seconds

2. Legislation Update ([Higher Education Appropriations Subcommittee Meeting](#))

Bella: I want to continue talking about fees. Legislation is moving slow and doing a deep dive into the fees of every university. Taylor gave me a link to a video to watch. Watch from 9:55 to when they end the student fee discussion. If we could all watch it and make a list of questions we can send them to Taylor for her to answer at the next meeting.

President introductions for Muskan

Bella: We have heard the legislation is looking at student fees. They are looking into wrapping fees into tuition, making opt. in fees, etc. This is problematic because student organizations are funded by student fees. This will lessen what we can do for the students. We like to think that student fees are similar to taxes as they help pay for the students as a whole. We have to play a waiting game and hear from legislation on updates.

Joseph: The fees are in full control of the students. If we take the fees out of the hands of students it takes it away from the student's experience and student's power.

Bella: It is within the USHE bylaws that fees must be student controlled and funded.

Mathew: Don't assume anything bad is happening.

- Meet with representatives, find out their perspective on student fees and inform them on the process. Be an expert on the student fee process.
- Hold on campus events to increase awareness about student fees. Similar to truth in tuition. We will be dealing with an informed student body.
- Assignments:
  - Boyden (Keith Grover, Karen Kwan)
  - Richey (Ryan Wilcox, Chris Wilson, Michael Peterson)
  - Bennett (Karen Peterson, Evan Vickers)
  - Estes (R. Neil Walter, Walt Brooks)
  - Barney (Michael McKell, Douglas Welton, Stephen Whyte)
  - Sorensen (Ann Miller, Jerry Stevenson)
  - None (Kathleen Riebe, Brett Garner, Mark Strong, Mark Wheatley)
  - Sun (Jon Hawkins)

Bella: We are more than happy to collaborate with USHE on this and Taylor has been a huge help. Most of this talk won't be happening until October. We want to be knowledgeable and understanding of the matter. Be prepared and educated before talking to representatives. Know how student fees work at your university and recent changes.

### 3. Voting Expectations

Bella: If we can raise hands when motioning or seconding or voting it will be easier to see.

### 4. College Day of Service

Bella: We need to decide on a date. All the Universities did a day of service with the community around the state. We are looking to do it again this year. I'm thinking of doing it on the national day of service (Jan. 20th). I'm also thinking we could do a week of service to free up schedules.

Sarah Sun: I think that the national day of service will be tricky since we won't be on campus. I do think that the week of service is a great idea. The first lady has a goal of "showing up for service". I think that aligning with her initiative is a great way to get her involved. We had options for students to stay on campus and to go off campus for projects.

Matthew: Are we planning a full week or just one big effort on a day of that week?

Bella: I'm thinking that each University picks a day of that week.

Sarah Sun: In the case of every day at a different University it will be hard to market. I think that it is better to all pick just one day.

Matthew: Even if we have to pick a separate day we can work together and make it work.

Muskan: I was working on an inter-faith project and thought that this may be a good way to bring it to the state level. I just want to throw it out there to see if inter-faith can be an underlying theme.

Matthew: I like the idea. I think that the word inter-faith can turn some people off. We can communicate that it is for all students.

Sarah Sun: I agree that it is a great idea. We can move this to new initiatives rather than under the college day of service. Some options are November 9th, November 2nd, November 19th.

Bella: We are still deciding what we can do with the day of the dead with HB 261. What were the later days in November?

Matthew: I think November 16th works really well for USU.

Joseph: Will I need to be at my university at that time on the 16th? I think it can be delegated but I won't be in town.

Sarah H: I would like to be on campus for this because we are a smaller school. I would like a day other than the 16th. The 2nd works for me.

Sarah Sun: We can make any Saturday work.

Matthew: I don't have any conflicts. I'm a bit weary of day of the dead overlap.

Bella: Does the 9th work?

Joseph: That is a game day but it could help with collaboration. We can definitely make it work.

Bella: The 2nd may be our best option.

Sarah Sun: We could push it to December or October 19th. The 9th works best for our service squad.

Joseph: We can definitely make it work with game day.

Bella: Can we call it to a vote? We can save the date of November 9th and then check with Emily and Mimi.

#### 5. Projects and President's Updates

Bella: I also want to talk about campus cup.

Matthew: We are working with campus safety for our voter registration events. I would encourage everyone to support students in an emotional and conflict creating election year.

Bella: Does anyone have questions on campus cup? All the universities do a competition, the school with the most registered voters gets the cup.

Sarah H: Every college has a contact person that supplies data. It will be calculated percentage wise of the student body.

Bella: I want to talk about our initiatives as a whole. In the past we have focused on mental health, free menstrual products and college access have been topics. Let's take some time to figure out our big goal.

Sarah Sun: At BYU we have groups of underrepresented students talk about their experiences. We could do panels around the state where different groups talk about their experiences. It can be a series around the state of "Untold Stories" from our student body. Going back to the first lady's platform, unified sports. Looking into unifies sports teams with students with disabilities playing alongside athletes. We could do a unified sports campus cup.

Matthew: We could run into HB 261 issues with the first idea.

Joseph: With HB 261, we can't make events exclusive. We can still do cultural events just open to all.

Colter: Anything that is celebratory and not exclusive is still allowed. If we are holding these events, what will make students interested if they don't know who we are and what we do. I think an initiative may be informing students.

Sarah Sun: We could also make up the panel and travel around the state to answer questions.

Bella: I love the ideas. We can loop some of them together. I want to push belonging in this time and we can be the faces to let students know what is going on at the state level. What next steps can we take? Should we work on a list of panelists or take some time to solidify plans for the next meeting.

Colter: For me the main focus should be showing who we are as USA.

Matthew: What is the benefit for students to know who we are?

Colter: I think it comes back to representation. If students know that we are representing them at the state level. I guess that raises the question of do they need to know? If students know that this organization exists will they utilize it more?

Bella: We talked about more students applying from all of our schools. I also want to bring to attention that Snow, UofU, BYU, and UVU need to pay their USA fees. We need to decide our reasons for the initiatives. Depending on what route we go we need to have a strong why.

6. Adjourn

Next meeting: Wednesday, October 2nd at 8:00am.